Sunday 1 September 2013

Meet our 2013-2014 Pearson Board of Directors

As a Co-op school, the Board of Directors play an important role in the running of our school. The Board represents the parents and best interest of the students.

What are the Roles & Responsibilities of the Board of Directors?

  • The BoD is comprised of elected members of Pearson. ("Elected" means we volunteer for the role but are voted in by the Co-op membership the previous year)
  • The BoD is responsible for the management and administration of Pearson and its staff.
  • The BoD must abide by the by-laws and resolutions as determined by the general membership and all applicable legislation. The BoD will set policy and procedure for the school.
The Board meets monthly to discuss all school business and the minutes of these meetings are shared transparently on the Pearson parent section of the website for all parents/Co-op members to review. The 4 General Meetings we hold every school year provide the membership the opportunity to vote and interact directly with the Board.

We'd like to introduce you to our Board of Directors so you feel as engaged as possible in the running of our school. Please introduce yourself to the BoD especially if they are a parent in your child's class. The BoD welcomes input and can take feedback to our monthly meetings for discussion. Please remember all members of the board are volunteer parents in the school participating in these roles on a part-time basis.

2013-2014
Chairperson: Diana Dunnell (RTL)
1st Vice: Tammy Michener (2am)
2nd Vice: Courtney Potter (RTL)
Treasurer: Kristi Meagher (RTL)
Assistant Secretary: Ann-Marie Burton (RTL)
Recording Secretary: Alicia Moffat (2am)
Membership Secretary: Liz Woloshin (RTL)
Member at Large (Co-op/PCCA): Meghan Bower (2am)
Fundraising: Janice Barker (RTL)

Diana Dunnell: Chairperson



Tammy Michener: 1st Vice
My name is Tammy Michener and I'll be filling the position of First Vice on the Board this year.  Anna is my third child to attend Pearson Nursery School in the 2am class.  We obviously love Pearson which is why we keep coming back!   I love the amazing playground, and the emphasis on outdoor play.  The size of the classrooms is great, giving the kids plenty of room to explore and participate in all the wonderful activities.  There is always an amazing craft to take part in and a nutritious snack which is great.  But what really makes Pearson top notch is the teaching staff - with their high energy, loving nature and patience, they help prepare our kids for their first years in elementary school.  And last but certainly not least, it is the families at Pearson that make it such a wonderful Nursery School.  We've made many friends over the years, and some great memories to cherish.


 Courtney Potter: 2nd Vice
My name is Courtney Potter, and I am the second vice chairperson on this year's executive committee. I learned about Pearson through a good friend who sent her son there. As a result of her positive experiences, I knew it was a great fit for my boys. Jacob attended the Ready to Learn program last year, and this year it is Lucas' turn. Jacob loved his time at Pearson. He learned so much,  and came out of his shell in a big way. Lucas is very excited and can't wait for school to start. I am personally looking forward to being a large part of helping with the day-to-day administration of the school.


Kristi Meagher: Treasurer
My name is Kristi Meagher and I am the Treasurer for the 2013/2014 school year.  I am excited and looking forward to being on the board for Pearson Nursery School.  My daughter attended Pearson last year in the 2 pm class and will be attending the RTL program this year.  One of the things about the school that impressed me was that the parents do have the opportunity to be so involved in the school.  I was an on duty parent and found so much joy in having the opportunity to explore and learn right a long with my daughter.  I also loved that the 2 pm class has a French program.  The teachers are amazing with a sincere love of teaching. My daughter and I are super excited for all of the life experiences and learning to come our way this next school year at Pearson!


Ann-Marie Burton: Assistant Secretary
Each of our three children has attended Pearson - we love it here! Our family has been enrolled in the 2am and 2pm classes, both duty and non-duty and all programs have been fabulous. Megan graduated from the 2am program last year and is now returning into the RTL program. I'm excited to see the RTL program in action and watch our daughter learn and develop even more in the Pearson classroom. Last year I was on the Board as the Member at Large and found it both rewarding and eye-opening to see the details of how the school is run. I am so impressed with the leadership from Fiona as Supervisor and dedication of  the volunteer Board and incredible teaching staff. Pearson has provided my children with excellent  kindergarten prep and I know our final year here will be a bittersweet one for us. As the Assistant Secretary, my main role on the BoD is to manage the Advertising & Promotion of the school and I'm excited to develop this blog, our new social media channels and help ensure that every parent in Burlington knows that Pearson is the best nursery school in town!


Alicia Moffat: Recording Secretary
My name is Alicia Moffat and my daughter Lylah is participating in the 2am class this year.  This is my third child that has attended Pearson, and we have loved every experience so far!  I love how Pearson feels like home for the kids and I, and that everyone here feels like family.  I saw so much growth and development in my girls during their time here at Pearson, and felt like the teachers really helped them prepare for school...and with full day kindergarten, that was really important to us.  My position on the Board this year  is Recording Secretary and I am looking forward to the 2013/2014 school year!


Liz Woloshin: Membership Secretary
My name is Liz Woloshin and I am the membership secretary at Pearson.  My daughter's name is Katie and she is in the RTL program this year.  This is our fourth year at Pearson - my son came for 2 years and now this will be my daughter's second year.  It has been such a wonderful experience for all of us and I really love being involved with the preschool!  Looking forward to another fantastic year!


Meghan Bower: Member at Large
I am the current Member at Large for Pearson Nursery School's Board for the 2013/14 school year. My daughter will be attending Pearson in the 2am program, starting this fall. My son attended the same 2am program the year before. Pearson was recommended to me by a friend. Last year was my first experience with the school and I have only good things to report. I adore the teachers and administrators at Pearson School. They create such a fantastic educational and nurturing environment for pre-school children to learn and grow in. Having watched her older brother being dropped off at school twice a week last school year, my daughter is extremely excited to be starting in September. I look forward to another wonderful school year.

Janice Barker: Fundraising
I am thrilled for our second school year at Pearson as my daughter Fiona returns in September, this year for the RTL program. I am also happy to be on the board this year as Fundraiser, and look forward to coordinating the annual silent auction in November. Pre-Fiona I worked in marketing, but love my new job as stay-at-home momma to my energetic little read head. Here's to another great year at the best pre-school in Burlington!!

No comments:

Post a Comment